Career Connect Assignment
• Identify common psychiatric disorders including diagnostic criteria and treatment considerations.
• Explore the differences in selected, specific categories of DSM-V.
In Weeks 3, 4, and 6, you will have two case studies per week presented with some commonly confused disorders. You will need to appropriately diagnose the case studies and then recommend treatment options based on information from the lectures and supplemental materials. The case studies are unique for each week in that they deal with some of the disorders discussed in that particular week. Before reviewing the week’s case studies, you will also be presented with a video to help you in your diagnosis and treatment plan.
Case Study ,:
Watch the first three minutes of the video below before starting the case studies for this week.
What is the difference between social anxiety disorder and agoraphobia? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5outFW0fU&t=110s
1. Client C is a 30-year-old female who reports having a longtime issue with leaving her home. She is extremely fearful of experiencing a panic attack in public. She reports that these feelings started after a mugger attacked her. Now every time she tries to leave her home she begins to have a panic attack or worries that she will have one. She denies having any flashbacks or nightmares of the mugging, but the thought of going outside her home fills her with such fear, she feels she just can’t do it. She has no problems with people coming to visit her and is often the host of dinner parties for her friends.
2. Client D is a 27-year-old male who reports feeling uncomfortable in social situations. Lately he has started to avoid going out with friends because the interaction with others causes such nervousness that it is easier to just not go. He recently changed jobs because he couldn’t handle the sales calls he had to make to clients. He changed divisions and now only has to send emails, which he is much more comfortable with. His dating life has suffered because he has had difficulty engaging in conversation with new people. He reports feeling anxiety whether he will be interacting with a group or only one other person. He feels overwhelming worry thinking about whether others will judge him or think poorly of him. He reports that his family has complained that he rarely visits them anymore. When questioned further as to why he has stopped visiting, he says his siblings are all married and conversing with their spouses is difficult.
After reading the case studies, answer the following questions in an essay format of at least 250 words. Ensure you have an introduction, body, and conclusion.
• What is the diagnosis for each scenario presented this week?
o Include a detailed justification for the diagnosis. When you provide the justification, make sure to describe the symptoms the individual has that meet the diagnostic criteria of that disorder.
• What is an appropriate treatment option for the individual scenarios?
o Include a detailed justification for the treatment option selected. When you provide justification for the treatment option, use information from the lectures or supplemental resources to explain why that treatment is appropriate for the individual and/or their diagnosis.
Part 2: Please separate part and 2 in different word document!!!
This week will conclude the group debate portion of this assessment.
Review the provided case study in Appendix A and the updates to the case study in Appendices B and C.
In your main post in the group debate this week, please address the following:
• Identify and explain the group decision making tool that you would use in this situation, given the new information provided in the Week 4 case study update.
• Considering your understanding of group processes, formulate a plan that Jamal and Amber might use to build morale and unity within their team.
• Include references and citations from at least two outside scholarly sources.
Make sure to dialog with your group members. Again, the purpose of this debate is to influence your group members on the best decision-making strategy and to reach a sound, informed decision about the most effective technique to apply to the provided case study. You will write about what you have learned from this group debate in Week 5.
Appendix A – Case Study
Jamal and Amber have a successful small business with ten employees. Their entire team has been invited to two professional conferences, but they’re only able to attend one.
The employees are arguing as some would rather go to the Florida conference while others want to go to the one in California.
The Florida conference is being held at a hall on the property of a major theme park. On site lodging is included, but meals are not. The speakers will be other small business owners and the topics will be centered around customer service. This conference lasts three days and is scheduled to end the day before Christmas.
The California conference has celebrity guest speakers, free meals, and two days of workshops. The conference is midweek in July. The workshop topics would be more beneficial to employees on a management track or already working in management. The lodging is in a less desirable area far from the conference. Attendees will have to find transportation to and from the convention hall.
Jamal and Amber want to use the best possible decision-making tool to help bring their group to a decision. Which method should they choose?
Appendix B – Week 3 Update to Case Study
A new member has joined the team! The other employees are very bonded and have not fully warmed up to her yet. She is excited to hear about the trip and hopes that it will give her a chance to get to know her coworkers better.
The new employee is pregnant and has doctors clearance to fly to Florida but is not allowed to fly the distance to California. With her pregnancy-related blood pressure problems, the added flight time could be dangerous.
Amber and Jamal could step in and decide the team will attend the Florida conference in order to accommodate the new employee. Both Amber and Jamal are experts in their field and are authorities over this group. Should they just make the decision for their team?
PSYC120 – Career Connect Grading Rubric
Criteria Exceeds Expectations Meets Expectations Needs Improvement Points
45 points 38 – 45 points
Appropriately diagnoses the individuals in the case studies. Diagnoses are accurate and justified with supporting information. 30 – 37 points
Appropriately diagnoses the individuals in the case studies but the diagnoses are not justified with supporting information or some of the information is inaccurate. 0 – 29 points
Does not appropriately diagnose the individuals in the case studies and no justification is given to support the diagnoses.
45 points 38 – 45 points
The treatment recommendations are appropriate for the individuals in the case studies, are sensible for the disorders specified, and are justified with supporting information. 30 -37 points
The treatment recommendations are appropriate for the individuals in the case studies and sensible for the disorders specified, but there is no justification to support the recommendations or some of the information is inaccurate/inappropriate. 0 –29 points
The treatment recommendations are not appropriate for the disorders or the individuals in the case studies and there is no justification to support the recommendations.
10 points 9 -10 points
There is no more than one error in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The error does not distract the reader or cloud meaning. Student uses 1” margins and 12pt. Arial or Times New Roman font. 7 -8 points
There are fewer than three errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. These errors do not distract the reader or cloud meaning. Student uses 1” margins and 12pt. Arial or Times New Roman font. 0 – 6 points
There are four or more errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. These errors distract the reader and/or cloud meaning. Student does not use 1” margins and 12pt. Arial or Times New Roman font.
Instructor Comments: Total Points: