topic – Physician-Assisted suicide (persuasive essay)
Essay Format: Your essay must be 57 pages (16001900 words) in length. The abstract, title page and reference list do not count in the page or word count. The essay must have the following elements:
- Times New Roman
- 1-inch margins
- Proper Level I and Level II APA section headings for all major sections of the essay
- All other applicable APA formatting
- A properly formatted APA title page
- A properly formatted APA abstract
- Body of the paper
- Introduction: Identify the issue. Provide the necessary background and/or important recent developments. Define key terms and concepts. Engage the reader and explain the broader significance of the issue.
- Arguments and Counterarguments: Summarize the best arguments on both sides of the issue. Include relevant research from credible sources used to support each conclusion. Devote at least one paragraph to each side.
- Evaluation of Critical Thinking: Assess the strength of the arguments and the quality of thinking surrounding this issue.
- Identify weaknesses in critical thinking such as fallacies, rhetorical devices, vague language, and cognitive biases. Provide specific examples of how these weaknesses appear in arguments you encountered, using terminology and definitions from the course. Be specific! Present evidence from your sources that show these fallacies/biases being used.
- Evaluate the quality of scientific and anecdotal evidence using the standards of inductive and deductive reasoning described in the course. Consider the quality of the causal relationships, analogies, generalizations, and/or moral reasoning.
- Conclusion: Analyze the totality of research and offer a critical thinkers response to the issue. Identify your own position and experience with the issue and explain how your thinking of the subject has evolved as a result of your analysis. Your conclusion does not have to be absolute, but it should not be equivocal. If both sides have good arguments, which is better, even if only slightly better, and what is the argument that tips the scales in the sides favor? Why does that point tip the scales?
- A properly formatted APA reference list
- Sources should appear in alphabetical order according to the last name of the first author listed on the source.
- If there is no author(s), then the source should be cited by title or organization.
Sources and Research Sources: You must use five scholarly or academic sources and all research should be drafted within the last five years. Sources not scholarly or academic in nature may affect your grade.